CPD Courses for Teachers
Chess for Social Skills – Summer Course 2023
Ficheall volunteers will be faciltating the course, Chess for Social Skills, in education centres throughout the country this summer. The course is approved by the DES for 3 EPV days.
The course has already been delivered to hundreds of teachers around Ireland since 2016. Teachers with zero knowledge of chess are still invited to sign up as chess will be taught from the basics before progressing to cover methods of teaching chess in a primary school and how it can extend to develop and teach students key social skills – respect, accepting defeat, forward planning, giving and receiving compliments, teamwork, decision making, patience and resilience.
“As a total beginner to chess, I found this course so worthwhile, after a week I have the knowledge and confidence to start chess classes with my class. I actually can’t wait to get it up and running, I’m addicted!”
The summer chess course will cover
• methods of teaching the rules of chess pieces to classroom-based or SET groups of students
• methods of teaching checkmate to classroom-based or SET groups of students
• chess games to develop teamwork skills between students
• chess games to develop forward planning and decision-making skills among students
• chess games to develop acceptance and resilience skills in students
• numeracy-based problem-solving chess puzzles
• establishing and using an online platform for student to play and improve their chess ability